California man pleads not guilty to bomb charges
The man who was arrested earlier this month for possessing bomb-making materials and posing threat to the public in his apartment pleaded not guilty to the charges on Monday.
Ryan Chamberlain, 42, was arrested on 2nd of June after a three-day manhunt by the FBI. The manhunt was triggered by the discovery of a handful of castor beans and toxins like abrin and pure nicotine from his apartment in San Francisco. In addition to possessing illegal destructive material at his apartment, he had a handgun with serial number removed.
The suspect's attorney Jody Linker argued that castor beans can't be considered as dangerous and that her client was not charged with possessing toxins. The attorney also argued that seized handgun (.22-caliber Derringer) was more of a novelty thing than a real weapon.
The attorney requested the court to release her client from jail to a hospital for mental treatment, but the court refused the defense request pending trial.
Arguing against the release, prosecutor Phil Kearney claimed that Chamberlain was a major risk to the society. Kearney told the court that a device found from Chamberlain's apartment was fully functional and could be detonated by remote control. The device in question was a jar filled with ball bearings and nearly four ounces of a green explosive containing some chemicals like potassium sulfate.
Arguing against Chamberlain's release, Kearney said, "The device does not appear to be a device intended for suicide."
Next hearing in the case is scheduled for Thursday this week, following a psychiatric examination of Chamberlain.
The overall ‘asthma epidemic’ among children has...Read More
People in huge numbers gathered in the Mount Lofty...Read More
As New Year is approaching, people have already...Read More
Alzheimer’s disease, the commonest cause of...Read More
Cases of opioid abuse have been increasing and...Read More
In an announcement made on December 22, cable giant...Read More