Sanctuary policies are counterproductive to public safety: Jeh Johnson
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson criticized so-called sanctuary policies that prohibits cities like San Francisco from cooperating with federal authorities in immigration investigations or arrests unless required by law or a warrant.
Criticizing sanctuary policies, Johnson said any city's such policies are counterproductive to public safety and unacceptable.
Speaking at the Commonwealth Club in downtown San Francisco, Johnson said, "It is counterproductive to public safety to have this level of resistance to working with our immigration enforcement personnel. It is simply in my judgment not acceptable to have no policy of cooperation with immigration enforcement."
He stressed that cities' cooperation with Homeland Security officials was essential to get criminals off the streets.
San Francisco's sanctuary policy came under fire after the shooting death of 32-year-old Kate Steinle, who was fatally shot by illegal Mexican immigrant Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez as she walked with her father along the city's waterfront.
The shooting triggered a national debate over the city's sanctuary policy after it was revealed Lopez-Sanchez was out on the streets after the city's Sherriff disregarded a request from federal immigration authorities to keep him locked up.
Lopez-Sanchez, who has been deported five times to Mexico, claims that he fired the gun accidentally and that he had no intention to kill Steinle.
- 81% Hotel Occupancy Decline in India while Singapore manages with just 29.2%
- Prakash Gaba: BUY HDFC, HCL Technologies, Godrej Consumer and UltraTech Cement
- Ashwani Gujral: BUY Hero MotoCorp, Maruti and HDFC; SELL JSW Steel and SBI
- Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands, Resorts World Sentosa casinos to remain closed beyond June 1
- Mitesh Thakkar: BUY Cipla, Balkrishna Industries, ACC; SELL M&M Finance
- Okada Manila Casino Resort to lay off more than 1,000 workers amid continuing COVID-19 lockdown
- Dubai Expo Moved to October 2021
- Dubai Faces Major Economic Trouble due to COVID-19 Lockdowns
- California Governor Gavin Newsom asks casinos to reconsider reopening plans
- Emirates announces more Special Flights
Organic Market Europe
Arca Space Corporation has launched an actual...Read More
New ads for Louis Vuitton's ‘Series 4’ line feature...Read More
A team of geneticists from Trinity College Dublin...Read More
Marine wildlife researchers claimed to have...Read More
The overall ‘asthma epidemic’ among children has...Read More
People in huge numbers gathered in the Mount Lofty...Read More