Google tries to escape the French ruling on ‘right to be forgotten’
Search engine major Google has requested the French authorities to review their decision to push Google and other search engines to delete the data under the ‘right to be forgotten’ ruling. European citizens have the option to ask Google and other search engines to remove any outdated or incorrect information from the search engines by providing their identification and the reason for removal.
Last year in May, the European Court ruled that search engines should delete the outdated or incorrect data from the search results in case any European citizen directly involved with the data requests it. Google has implemented the system to take requests from European citizens for data deletion. However, Google only deletes the data from its search engines operating in the European Union.
The data still remains live on other Google search engines operating globally. French data protection agency CNIL had ordered Google last month that the company should delete the data across the globe.
Google was given 15 days to comply with the French ruling. However, Google has responded back to French authorities and the company has requested them to review the decision.
Google says that if privacy and data protection agencies continue pressing search engines on such issues, the freedom of information on internet will be highly compromised.
In an official blog post, Google’s Global Privacy Counsel Peter Fleischer said, “We believe that no one country should have the authority to control what content someone in a second country can access. If the CNIL’s proposed approach were to be embraced as the standard for Internet regulation, we would find ourselves in a race to the bottom. In the end, the Internet would only be as free as the world’s least free place.”
“France is asking for Google to do something here in the US that if the US government asked for, it would be against the First Amendment,” Jonathan L. Zittrain, who teaches digital law at Harvard Law School, told The New York Times.
Once again, Google is facing tough time with the European regulators. CNIL has confirmed that it has received a communication from Google to review its decision.
The overall ‘asthma epidemic’ among children has...Read More
People in huge numbers gathered in the Mount Lofty...Read More
As New Year is approaching, people have already...Read More
Alzheimer’s disease, the commonest cause of...Read More
Cases of opioid abuse have been increasing and...Read More
In an announcement made on December 22, cable giant...Read More